For non-R.O.C. nationals, it shall be handled according to the principles of equality and mutual benefit.
1. Required documents: It shall be applied for within one year after entry date.
1) Identity documents (original copy and photocopy).
2) Entry and exit record.
a. Nationals with R.O.C. household registration in the Taiwan area should submit national I.D. card or military I.D. card.
b. People who hold formal driving licenses issued by foreign government, in Mainland China area, Hong Kong or Macau and have obtained staying permit or residence permit for more than 6 months.
3) Three one-inch color photos with glossy single-color background, without wearing hat, with clear facial features, bust shot, and were taken within past 2 years. Do not use image synthesis.
4) Original copy and photocopy of the passport.
5) Original copy and photocopy of official and valid foreign driving license.
6) Automobile (motorcycle) driving license registration form with qualified health examination sheet.
Driving license fee: NT$200.
1) If the driving license is in a foreign language except English, a copy of translation in Chinese shall be provided and it must be verified by our embassy, representative office, the office or by domestic public notary.
2) Driving licenses issued in Mainland China area shall be verified by the institutions established or appointed by Executive Yuan or private groups entrusted. After passing written exam, people from Mainland China could apply for the driving license in our country.
3) Driving licenses issued in Hong Kong or Macau should be verified by the institutions established or appointed in Hong Kong or Macau by Executive Yuan or private groups entrusted.
4) Driving licenses issued by other countries or regions shall be verified by our embassies, representative offices, offices, or other institutions authorized by Ministry of Foreign Affairs, or foreign institutions in Taiwan that are authorized by foreign embassies in Taiwan, foreign governments or regions and agreed by Ministry of Foreign Affairs in our country for handling the business of document verification.
5) According to the official letter from Ministry of Transportation and Communications, the principles of handling the exchange of motorcycle driving licenses issued by the governments in our reciprocal countries for the motorcycle driving license in our country are “if the driving license issuing country does not handle it according to the level of engine displacement or horsepower, it can be exchanged to the general heavy motorcycle driving license in our country based on the above regulations. If a driving training certificate on large heavy motorcycle for more than 32 hours but less than 43 hours is provided, a driving license for large heavy motorcycle with a cubic capacity not exceeding 550 cm³ will be issued. However, a driving license for large heavy motorcycle with a cubic capacity exceeding 550 cm³ will be issued if a driving training certificate on large heavy motorcycle for more than 43 hours is provided.